Happy New Year lovely readers. I know I’m 23 days late but I’ve been busy travelling, lately. Busy may just not be the right word for a holiday such as Goa 😉 So as you can guess, this recipe is Goa inspired. We ate at a restaurant called La Plage in Goa. Foodies out there, you’ve got to visit this place. I absolutely loved the food, the view, the service, the ambiance and every darn thing! I’m definitely going back!
We ordered cured King fish that came with a generous portion of sweet potato salad in mustard dressing. I just had to ape the sauce at home and bang on! I love mine more actually and I chose protein over carb. The Chicken Schnitzel and Mustard sauce complement each other beautifully.
Moving on quickly then, here’s what you need for the chicken.
Panko breadcrumbs work really well but I just made my own with brown bread.
And that is literally the amount of flour you’ll need as I don’t believe in dredging anything in flour.
To prepare the crust, combine sesame seeds, paprika, salt and pepper with the bread crumbs.
To prep the chicken breast;
Spread cling film on your chopping board, place the chicken breast and cover with another sheet of cling film as shown below.
With a mallet or rolling pin, flatten the chicken until uniformly thick. Remove the cling wrap.
Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour on one side of the chicken and pat with your fingers. Repeat the same with the other side.
Beat an egg and pour half the egg onto the chicken and coat the chicken thoroughly.
The last step is to coat the chicken with the bread crumb mixture until covered with the same. Refrigerate the chicken open for 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, let’s get the honey mustard sauce ready, shall we 🙂
Here’s what you need,
Yes, I know it’s like a brand quiz up there, but I was in too much of a hurry to eat!
I used whole grain mustard coz I love the mustard flavour. But if you’re not a big fan, you can opt for Dijon instead.
In a heat proof bowl, whisk egg yolks, white wine, mustard and vinegar until well combined.
Melt butter in the microwave and set aside.
Over a pot of simmering (not boiling) water continue to whisk the egg mixture until thickened to desired consistency. This could take anywhere between 4-5 minutes.
Once thickened, take the sauce off the heat, add honey and gradually drizzle the melted butter while whisking continuously with the other hand! Phew!
That’s that. Delicious honey mustard is ready for your finger dipping 🙂
Pull the chicken out of the refrigerator. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides (2 to 3 minutes per side).
Drain on paper towels and serve right away with the velvet smooth honey mustard sauce topped with herbs.
Where’s my glass of wine you may wonder… in my hand, of course 😉
Here’s a closer look…
Look how juicy and perfect my chicken is! I’m happy 🙂
Oh you’ve got to try this for your own sake.
Hope you like it. Happy weekend folks!
|Sesame crusted Chicken Schnitzel with Honey- Mustard sauce|| |
- For the chicken,
- 1 Chicken breast, flattened with a mallet
- 1 tbsp. black and white sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4- 5 tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the honey mustard sauce,
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp. mustard
- Herbs to garnish
- For the chicken schnitzel,
- Combine bread crumbs with sesame seeds, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over the flattened chicken and pour beaten egg to coat the chicken.
- Coat the chicken with the bread crumb mixture and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.
- Pan fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until crisp and golden brown.
- For the honey- mustard sauce,
- Whisk together egg yolks, white wine, mustard and vinegar in a heat proof bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- Over a pan of simmering water, place the heat proof bowl with the eggs and whisk until thickened to desired consistency.
- Take the sauce off the heat, add honey and drizzle butter gradually while whisking continuously.
- Serve the chicken topped with this delicious sauce garnished with fresh herbs of your choice.