Hi guys! Here’s another super simple post and it had to be dessert! I haven’t had a sinful dessert in a while, so I just had to make this one with fresh strawberries all over the place. It feels like yesterday, I was ranting about choosing the right size of strawberry for desserts; last year same time. Phew time flies!
Pavlova is essentially a meringue with soft interior… What on earth is a meringue, you may ask. Meringue is fancy word for egg whites beaten with sugar. The difference between a pavlova and a meringue is the internal texture. You’ll see as we proceed. It’s like biting into a marshmallow; cakey, slightly chewy and brittle on the outside. It is usually topped with cream and berries as the tartness from the berries and the sweet pavlova are a match made in heaven.
Here’s what you need,
I’m going to finish this post in less than 5 steps! It’s hardly a recipe 🙂
In a large mixing bowl, add the egg whites and vinegar.
With an electric whisk, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. You can whisk manually with a wire whisk as well.
Check out my beautiful peaks at this stage…
Mix the corn flour into the sugar with a spoon. I used granulated sugar but I’d suggest you use powdered sugar to reduce the whisking time.
Add sugar-corn flour mixture one tablespoon at a time, while whisking continuously. Continue until all the sugar is incorporated and the egg whites turn glossy.
That’s the base done.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pipe the egg mixture to form cute little baskets.
Bake these beauties in a preheated 170 C oven for 45 minutes.
Here’s the crucial part, post baking let the meringues cool off completely in the oven with the oven door ajar… This can take an hour or two. Patience is your best friend at this point.
When cooled off completely, pull the meringue out of the oven and spoon over whipped cream and top with a fresh strawberry!
Crisp on the outside, soft and marshmallowy on the inside!
One of my favourite desserts!
I lightly dusted some icing sugar and cut right through… I’m salivating as I type…
I hope you try this recipe coz you’re gonna love it!
Have a brilliant day!
|Mini Pavlova with strawberry and cream|| |
- These a proportions for 6 mini pavlovas. To double the number, double the quantity of ingredients used.
- Egg whites 3
- Granulated sugar 125 g
- Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Corn flour 1 tablespoon
- Whipping cream to top pavlova
- Beat the egg whites and vinegar in a large mixing bowl until soft peak stage.
- Mix the sugar and cornflour thoroughly in a bowl. Add the same a tablespoon at a time while whisking simultaneously until all the sugar is dissolved in the egg mixture.
- Pipe the meringue onto a lined baking tray as shown in the image above.
- Bake in a preheated 170 C oven for 45 minutes.
- With the oven door ajar, cool the meringues completely.
- When cooled, spoon over whipped cream, top with a strawberry and lightly dust icing sugar.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Top the meringue with whipped cream only before serving.