Helloooo my lovely readers. I am posting after really really long and I’ve got reasons for doing so… You’ll know soon 🙂
Anyway, as most of you know I love whole grains… way more than Arborio rice! Hence, Barley risotto. Its creamy, silky and absolutely delicious. Barley is one of my favorite grains and I make soups and salads with barley very often. It has a chewy texture and nutty flavor. Barley is super rich in minerals and vitamins; the dietary fiber content makes it a great weight loss option.
Barley is said to prevent certain kinds of cancer, lower cholesterol and reduce blood sugar. I was sold on weight loss! And the best part, it tastes so good! Here’s one of my barley recipes and I’m gonna share many more with you in time 🙂
If your partner is one of those health freaks ( husband, hope you’re listening) you have dinner sorted for your valentine 🙂
I made mine with chicken and mushrooms, you can make yours with mushrooms, peppers, ham, bacon and the list goes on…
A glass of wine, a vanilla cinnamon candle in the background, some lovely tracks on those speakers, a pretty dress, good food and that familiar smile… Yeah I’m dreamy…
|Barley risotto|| |
- Barley 1 cup
- Minced onion 1
- Minced garlic 1 tbsp
- Chopped celery 2 tbsp.
- Chopped bacon (optional)
- Chicken breast 1
- Chicken stock 4 cups
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Parmesan shavings
- Sliced chili or red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Parsley/ cilantro
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute chopped bacon and cubed chicken until bacon is crispy and the chicken, cooked. Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions, celery and garlic until golden brown. Toss in barley and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock in parts and stir until the barley is almost cooked. This can take anywhere between 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Tumble in the bacon and chicken and cook for a minute to marry all the flavors.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and toss in a tablespoon of butter. Cover and let the risotto rest for 30 seconds.
- Garnish with shaved Parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately.
Hope you guys try this. This recipe is keeper 🙂
Have a wonderful day!